Sunday, May 24, 2009

S'more Camping???

So we went to the property of Adam’s family past Heber. We got there about noon on Saturday and this was the real kind of camping too. No running water so no toilets etc. Now I’ve roughed it plenty of times, but it has been years and years! I’ve been spoiled with East Canyon Resort camping where you have showers, toilets, the pools and shuffleboard. You are entertained at every moment and don’t have to smell the outhouse. Oh the luxuries we have become accustomed too.
So with a reluctant heart I jumped on the bandwagon. And I actually became excited about it. Just me and Adam! We had never been camping before this. It was fun doing all of the planning etc. Thanks to my poor spending habits, I have tons of camping crap, and it seemed whatever I didn’t have, Adam has.
So I almost laughed as it started raining just as we got there. I had warned Adam of my curse before, we chucked as I reminded him of it. It almost ALWAYS rains when I go camping. But we figured it would subside. Well it didn’t! We were rather ill-prepared for inclement weather. Luckily we had a little bit of warm clothing and some hefty bags so we were set. It took some serious delving into our inner survivor-man kills to get a fire going in the rain.
But it really was fun while it lasted. We almost went home earlier in the day, but we kept thinking the rain would stop. There are 3 trailers owned by his family on this property but one had major mouse-droppings and one we couldn’t get into. We could get into his parents and decided to sleep there instead of the tent due to the rain. Adam was totally creeped out though for fear of spiders lol. I was more afraid of men with axes or like bears or something. Seriously after the four-wheelers stopped it was quiet and so very dark. Because of the clouds it was pitch black.
You know you have seen way too many horror movies when you can’t even walk 2 blocks to the outhouse in the dark without making your fiancée chauffer you along with his hatchet.
Then we couldn’t sleep. The altitude was getting to me, it wouldn’t stop raining, and Adam kept worrying about creepy crawly things. LOL we ended up leaving at 1 AM for home.
It was still so much fun and we’ve been gloriously lazy today.

No comments: