Friday, August 7, 2009

Wednesday Night

Power Outage

Wednesday, August 5, 2009: So I just came home a few minutes ago only to find that the power has gone out. To be honest, it's been about 45 minutes actually without power so far.

It's actually been a little bit of an experience in my dull life lol. I struggled at first to find some matches, laughing at how my once strategically placed flashlights all got put with the camping gear in storage. Finally I remembered that there were some matches next to the tv so I am so grateful that I have a ton of candles!

Oh how I take power for granted! I scarcely give it a though besides the begrudging writing of the check each month. Ha! I don't even write out checks anymore. I joined the world of debit cards finally, and Adam introduced me to the oh so convenient free online bill pay with Zion's Bank.

What an amazing thing technology is! (hee hee I so feel a certain song from "Napoleon Dynamite" coming on…….). So annoying though without this wonderful stuff. I can't do any of my normal routine without power. It's funny that somehow I feel like I'm in the dark ages sitting here on the couch writing on paper to candlelight.

Next I'll be looking for my sketch book or my embroidery and get ready for the ball!

No wonder back then that they looked so forward to parties and dancing for it was almost the only form of entertainment they had! Quite amazing really! Wouldn't they be amazed to see this entirely new world with our internet, ipods, and cell phones? I know I would be entirely out of my element and bored in their world.

So funny that I'm quite put out because I can't play WOW, go on facebook, write my blog & articles while watching Shark Week!

Luckily there is actually plenty to do to amuse myself. I did the dishes (well rinsed and put them in the magic dishwasher lol) Ha, see how bored I really am!

….The power didn't come on until nearly 10. I actually wrote an article and my blog on paper, and read for a while. My honey had to work really really late sadly. And I really couldn't complain. I had the cat, my ipod (music). Too bad Adam wasn't here so we could cuddle and actually bond without the tv and our computers etc.

So interesting though. It really makes me wonder about how far we have come. We have all these amazing things in the world, made so many advances etc. How prepared will we be when the world ends or whatever like some huge disaster where we don't have power. It makes me think how we need to be prepared!

But as far as technology, its amazing all these things we can do. How we can connect with others millions of miles away, research so much on the internet. Wouldn't want to trade it for the world. But we probably should have our limits here in the world today where we text or instant message family members in the same house that dinner is ready! Really need to take a break from it sometimes and bond without all these fancy gadgets. That's why I love family night with Adam's family. They have a strict rule that there are no ipods etc or texting. We play games etc and its just so much fun.

No comments: